#100dayproject

ink drawing amy hay

I participated in #the100dayproject on Instagram which was hosted by artist Elle Luna. Artists were prompted to pick something creative and do that thing for 100 days.  I liked seeing what other people came up with.  For my project I decided to do a series of drawings using a twig for a pen and various inks.  I ended up using a different type of twig every day.  It wasn’t my intention in the beginning, but after awhile it turned into a must.  Between my Dad’s amazing collection of trees and our Weekly Homeschool Field Classes I managed to use 100 different twigs. Here are a handful of my favorites.  Look for prints of them in the shop.

skulldimensioncycledeerphilosopheralone in thoughtriver towninfinityspaceshipcaged mindtwigs

The whole 100 days can be seen by searching #100daysoftwigandink on Instagram. Check it out.

follow me on twitter . BlogLovin . Facebook . Instagram

looking up

tree friends

 

I capture lots of images while exploring in our outdoor classes.  The trees tend to draw me in the most.  Here are a few images I like from my vast collection of tree photos.  Trees are so inspiring on so many levels.

bare tree

who are you?

vine support

lone bird

so inviting

oh, great one

hanging out

stay rooted

Trees, trees, we need more of these!

follow me on twitter . BlogLovin . Facebook . Instagram

throwback thursday

rainwalkers

Throwback to when my signature was amy k hernandez and my zip code was 97205.
My first winter in Portland and my first printmaking class. (my first RIVES BFK)
This is a mono print I did with rolled ink and xerox transfers.

transfer raintown usa

This piece is Untitled, but says so much to me about those years in the PNW.
It officially belongs to my brother.

follow me on twitter . BlogLovin . Facebook . Instagram

custom metal

street view

I recently designed a custom metal fence and gate for a private residence.  I used their huge Sycamore and the local terrain as my inspiration.  I started by doing a few gouache paintings, then scanned the approved image.  I used the image as a template to redraw it in vector using Illustrator to create actual size files.  These files were then used to plasma cut the metal sheets by my metal working friend, Denis.  He also did the welding. Three of my brothers helped with the install, which included a dry fitting 2 weeks before the actual install.  You can see the final piece peeking out to the left of the house.

ready to install

into place

backside

Above: Back side of the fence during the dry fit.

through the bushes

open gate

left-corner

straight-on.jpg_effectedAll installed!  After going through the various choices of metal finishes, the homeowners decided to leave the fence/gate’s surface unfinished.  They plan to let it age naturally for a while, when it gets to where they like it, they’ll seal it.  I’m looking forward to seeing how it changes.
I’ll keep you posted.




follow me on twitter . BlogLovin . Facebook . Instagram